Allentown, PA, September 30, 2021 – More than 500 energetic volunteers united to complete community service projects at 50 nonprofits during the 28th United Way Day of Caring, presented by Crayola in partnership with Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley.
“You could feel the LIVE UNITED spirit in every corner of the Greater Lehigh Valley today. I’m grateful to and inspired by the hundreds of people who rolled up their sleeves and invested their talent and energy in serving our community during Day of Caring,” said David Lewis, President, United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley (UWGLV).
United Way kicks off its 2021 campaign with Day of Caring, which is the largest single-day volunteer effort in the community.
“Our community has needs, and when we support United Way, we all become part of the solution. Today, we could give back by volunteering our time, and we encourage everyone to continue to get involved and help in any way they can,” added United Way Campaign Chair Laurie Gostley Hackett of Air Products.
Participants from 38 local businesses and organizations contributed $80,000 in volunteer hours to various projects at several area nonprofits in Lehigh, Northampton, and Carbon Counties. Some project examples include:
- Painting murals and adding motivational statements to the pathways leading into Paxinosa Elementary School in Easton with Crayola
- Re-organizing the pantry and supply room at Thomas Jefferson Elementary School with Air Products
- Landscaping and sprucing up the grounds at Friends of Johnston with PPL
- Organizing and beautifying inside and out of Central Elementary School with City Center Allentown
- Completing a makeover for the student relaxation room at Raub Middle School with St. Luke’s University Health Network
“Today’s volunteers should know that together they made a huge impact on our nonprofits and made a real difference for a lot of people who rely on them,” said Karen Daly Smith, CEO, Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley.
Day of Caring is presented by Crayola in partnership with the Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley, with additional support from Bronze Sponsors Amazon Fulfillment, Capital Blue Cross and Carbon Chamber & Economic Development. Snack sponsors include Costco and Wegmans Food Markets, and in-kind contributors are ASR Media Productions and Uline.
Photo Credit: United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley/Marco Calderon Photography