Over 1,200 Volunteers Cover the Valley in Community Service During United Way’s 30th Day of Caring, Presented by Crayola
Hours of service
Allentown, PA – More than 1,200 energetic volunteers united to complete community service projects at 53 area nonprofits during the 30th United Way Day of Caring, presented by Crayola and coordinated by Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley.
“Today is a great day to live, work and give in the Greater Lehigh Valley. It’s the 30th anniversary of Day of Caring, and the largest one to date. I’m grateful to the hundreds of people who rolled up their sleeves and invested their talent and energy in serving our community during Day of Caring,” said David Lewis, President, United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley (UWGLV).
United Way kicks off its annual campaign with Day of Caring, which is the largest single-day volunteer effort in the community.
“It’s inspiring to see so many companies partnering with United Way to embrace the importance of nonprofit work in our community. BSI Corporate Benefit’s partnership with United Way has affected our culture in the most positive way. It gives everyone the opportunity to volunteer and give, creating a sense of belonging, purpose, and empowerment,” said BSI Corporate Benefits Chief Executive Officer Tony DaRe, who is chairing the 2023 United Way campaign with his wife Adrienne.
“United Way Day of Caring celebrates the fact that everyone has something to give and to contribute. By connecting people to the causes they care about, United Way gives us all tangible opportunities to make a difference every day,” added Adrienne DaRe.
In the Greater Lehigh Valley, more than 1,200 participants from 54 companies and organizations contributed more than 6,150 hours of service valued at $195,570 to more than 50 nonprofits in Lehigh and Northampton and counties. Some Day of Caring projects included:
- Beautifying outdoor spaces with PPL at Unidos in Allentown
- Fall landscaping with Air Products at Children’s Home of Easton
- Decorating United Way Community Schools with Just Born Quality Confections and City Center Group
- Installing fire alarms in Easton with Victaulic, Dual Temp, JP Morgan Chase and American Red Cross
- Hosting an outdoor picnic for Phoebe Allentown residents with BSI Corporate Benefits
“Connecting volunteers to our local nonprofits is what we do best at the Volunteer Center. This year is our largest mobilization of corporate teams with 1,200 volunteers who will be supporting the 53 local nonprofits. The impact that our collective efforts with United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley has on our community is a game changer for the nonprofits and a tremendous opportunity for the businesses to have a team building experience for their employees,” said Karen Daly Smith, CEO, Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley.
Day of Caring’s presenting sponsor is Crayola with additional support from:
- Silver Sponsor: JP Morgan Chase & Co.;
- Bronze Sponsors: Air Products, Capital Blue Cross, Just Born Quality Confections, KingSpry Law and AAA East Central;
- Pearl Sponsor: Amazon Fulfillment;
- In-kind contributors: ASR Media Productions, Lehigh Valley IronPigs, Niagara Bottling Co. and Uline.